This information featured on
the website relies on the various groups and bodies updating us
with any changes. If you wish to notify us with a change, please
contact the Town Clerk.
Church info and references to other buildings are from Nikolaus
Pevsner's 'The Buildings of England: Suffolk'.
is surrounded by a number of villages. Several of these rely on
Saxmundham for local services and so are important to the Saxmundham
The immediately adjacent
Kelsale cum Carlton
Benhall and Sternfield
Please see the surrounding
parishes page for a list of all the places within about
12 miles of Saxmundham
entrance to Kelsale parish church
Council website: http://kelsalecarltonpc.org.uk/.
Situated to the north
of Saxmundham, Kelsale cum Carlton is really two or more adjoining
villages or hamlets such as the curiously named Dorley's Corner
and Curlew Green, plus East Green and North Green falling within
its boundaries. Kelsale has a Primary School.
village centre there is an Old Guildhall of 1495 that is now used
as a training centre, and up on the hill the Parish Church of St
Mary and St Peter has a distinctive Lych gate. Inside there is an
elaborate pulpit dated before 1631 and a statue of Samuel Clouting
by Thomas Thurlow of Saxmundham.
is immediately north of Saxmundham and is the location for all the
larger businesses based at the Carlton Park Industrial Estate. Adjoining
this is the Carlton Park Sports ground which is owned by Saxmundham
Sports Club, also the location of the Carlton Park Caravan Site.
Also on the Carlton Park is Carlton Hall former home of Richard
Garrett III who is buried there in the churchyard. The Church of
St Peter has a brick tower set amongst arable land in the grounds
of Carlton Park. Prominent on the skyline is a disused Tower mill.
Parish Council website: www.benhall.org.uk/.
over the River Fromus at Benhall Green
of Benhall and Sternfield adjoin Saxmundham to the south and in
parts are separated by the A12 and river Fromus. Benhall itself
is spread out comprising the hamlets of Benhall Low Street and Benhall
Green, with the parish church of St Mary further isolated from any
dwellings along Deadman's Lane. The church has box pews and a Jacobean
pulpit and is often open to visitors. In Benhall Green, there is
the Ford crossing the Fromus and nearby is The Wadd, a protected
marshland site. There is a small village primary school in Benhall
Green, and in the same street is a house of 1698 with distinctive
pargetting. Benhall has a very lively Flower Show in August.
off at Bigsby's Corner is Sternfield with the parish church of St
Mary Magdalene and Sternfield House situated in the same grounds.
The chuch has a painting of Christ Healing the Blind Man by Benjamin
village sign erected in 2000
Village website: http://rendham.onesuffolk.net/
Rendham is 3 miles west
of Saxmundham, on the River Alde. The Saxmundham clockmaker Jerome
Bright and his family attended the Congregational Church there (built
1750) and several generations of Brights are buried there.
rectors of the parish church of St Michael is the poet George Crabb
who wrote his poem The Borough here, amongst others. A current
well-known resident is the artist Maggi Hambling, who is currently
undertaking a commission to create a sculpture commemorating the
composer Benjamin Britten, who wrote the opera Peter Grimes, the
subject of Crabb's The Borough.
a boy swimming in the River Alde at Rendham bridge found a bronze
head, part of a life size statue of the Emperor Claudius. According
to the British Museum, the statue may originally have been located
at the Roman settlement at Colchester and that its destruction occurred
during the rebellion of the British tribal leader Boudica (in AD
61): how the head then got to Rendham is the subject of many theories.
The original object is now in the British Museum with replicas in
Ipswich and Colchester museums, and its discovery at Rendham is
commemorated in the village sign.
Parish Council website: http://knodishall.onesuffolk.net/
adjoins Saxmundham to the east, taking in Knodishall Green, Knodishall
Common and Coldfair Green, the site of a winter or 'cold fair' which
has been revived in recent times. The church of St Lawrence has
a painting of Jacob and Rachel of 1851 by William Dyce. At Knodishall
Green there is the Red House Farm house of 1678 which is built on
the tudor E-plan (although still labeled as Red House Farm on the
Ordnance Survey map, this house has long been known as Buxlow