Saxmundham home page Town CouncilLocal ServicesSport & LeisureTourist InformationNews & EventsAbout SaxmundhamContact Us
Search this site:

News & Events

Use the links above to find out what's going on in Saxmundham.
News & Events

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 8th FEBRUARY 2010 IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7:15pm

Present:

Cllr. M. Palman, Acting Chairman

Cllr. Mrs. M. Andrews
Cllr. Sir P Batho
Cllr. Mrs. R. Damiral-White
Cllr. J. Fisher
Cllr. K. Howe
Cllr. Miss B. Peall
Cllr. Col. R. Warren
Cllr. D. Willett

In attendance:

Mrs M. Gallop, Clerk to the Council
10 members of the public


PUBLIC FORUM:
Grave concern was expressed regarding the proposed closure of Saxmundham Middle School.
* The Town Council were asked to be proactive in aiding the school.
* The Town Council need to organise meetings with the various appropriate bodies involved and address the reasons why the school is due to be closed in July 2012.
* The school is used by numerous clubs on four evenings of the week plus weekends and closure would be a great loss to the community
* Children in years 5 and 6 will be kept at their Primary schools and years 7 and 8 will have to travel to the Waterloo Avenue site in Leiston by bus.
* Saxmundham will then only have a Primary School and lose an essential asset in Seaman Avenue. Prospective buyers of property may well be put off from purchasing locally.
* A letter was circulated to all parents and schools apart from the most important one – Saxmundham Middle School – their Headmaster heard about the closure from colleagues in the Primary Schools
* If the school is closed and the building left empty this would undoubtedly lead to it being vandalised
* Discussions have been undertaken on whether to set up an independent school
* The Town Council are fully aware of what an asset this site is to the local community

REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: The Police had sent their apologies and the Clerk read out their report.
* Complaints have been received regarding bikes being ridden down the central pathway in Henley Close. As residents doors are close to the pathway elderly people coming out of their houses have narrowly missed being knocked down. Clerk to report to the Police.
* Clerk to request a follow up report from the Police regarding the various crimes particularly as the detection rate seems rather low.
* Youths have been causing problems in the area once more particularly at the weekends.

REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: County Cllr Rae Leighton had sent his apologies due to another meeting.

REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS: Cllr Mrs Andrews reported the following:
Local Development Framework – Core Strategy
Cllr Andrews was present at a meeting of the Community, Customers and Partners Scrutiny Committee held at the Trinity Park Conference Centre on 21st January which discussed the contents of the draft Core Strategy document, which is the key document of the Local Development Framework.

The intention was that once the Core Strategy had passed through the scrutiny process at this meeting it would then move on to discussion by the Cabinet very soon afterwards and thence to adoption by a special meeting of Full Council very shortly after that.

Unfortunately, the meeting had to be adjourned at 10.00pm – only a very small fraction of the evening’s business having been undertaken in the 3 hours available. The meeting was attended by around 200 members of the public who were not allowed to speak (although there was a lot of barracking from them during the meeting), there was a strong presence from Councillors who were not members of the Scrutiny Committee (virtually all of whom spoke at various points in the meeting), the Committee themselves were vociferous on the points they made (not usually in accord with each other) and the Head of Planning as well as the portfolio holder for the L.D.F. spoke at length on several occasions during the evening.

The discord arises from the decision made in late summer/early autumn 2009 to change the emphasis of where the majority of the houses demanded by the Government should be built – Felixstowe or Martlesham. The Councillors for the villages and some local service centres in the northern sector of the District are now pressing for more allocations to be made to them “Pepper potting” – this means to scatter houses around in the small villages and market towns. They want the whole thing to be referred back to the Local Development Framework Task Group to look again.

The meeting resumes next Monday at 10.00am at Trinity Park when a decision will need to be made if we are not to run out of time on this matter. This whole question could be further complicated by the decision that the Secretary of State is likely to make, any day now, on a unitary authority for Suffolk and where the lines should be drawn.

All Cllr Andrews can suggest is “watch this space”!

AGENDA



3600. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this may be required when a particular item or issue is considered. None declared.

3601. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr G Cooke, holiday, Cllr B Jones, work commitments, Cllr G Moye, ill, Cllr Mrs D Sculley personal, Cllr Ms Trotter-Langlois,sick

3602. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 17:
3602.1 Funding, Cllr Howe
3602.2 Pavement in Station Approach, Cllr Mrs Andrews
3602.3 Hopkins Homes, Cllr Mrs Andrews

3603. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE 11th JANUARY 2010 MEETING previously circulated: Unanimously agreed and signed.

3604. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
SART’s dinner dance has been postponed.

It was unanimously agreed that the Policy and Resources report be brought forward.

3605. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE: Cllr Palman advised
that the decision to close the Middle School had been circulated in an email from Phil Whiffing, the School Organisation Review Project Lead and Young People’s Service at Suffolk County Council with an attached letter to all local primary schools involved in the Leiston re-organisation and the Headmaster of the Leiston Middle School. However, the most affected school, Saxmundham Middle, did not receive any correspondence. Their Headmaster, Mr Devereux, the one person who should have been consulted heard later from the Headmistress of Saxmundham Primary School. The meeting was closed for further discussion.
The meeting re-opened and Cllr Palman proposed the Town Council write to Phil Whiffing. Cllr Fisher counter proposed that we write to Andrea Hill of the SCC and copy Mr Whiffing in. Cllr Palman seconded this – unanimously agreed. Motion carried. Cllr Fisher thought that the Town Council should be more proactive in this and suggested we should attempt to host a meeting to attempt to retain the school and keep a much needed asset of the community resource. Cllrs Fisher, Jones and Palman will contact the Headmaster Mr Devereux to see what the objections are and meet up as soon as possible.

3606. TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:

A – CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED:

422 Land Registry – Amended copy of the title plan Saxmundham Water Tower
423 Thank you card from Derek Chambers
424 SCC Stars of Suffolk Awards 2010
425 email Trevor Tate – Sizewell Parishes Liaison Group
426 SALC -The Local Councillor
427 SALC – Buckingham Palace Garden parties
428 NALC Legal Topic notes
429 NHS Suffolk – Heart attack leaflets
430 SCC – Save money and take up the energy challenge
431 Suffolk Vollies January edition
432 SAVO Training Ipswich – various training courses
433 SCDC – agenda and minutes of meeting
434 Town Telegraph – Clerk to write in response to an article from someone who had supplied their name and address regarding the old B.T. car park
435 Winter 2010 Coast & Country
436 Italian Baroque Saturday 13 March at 7.30pm St. Bartholomews Church Orford

B – CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY:

108 Local Bible Society Action Group – would anyone wish to sponsor a volunteer in June. Not at present.
109 Saxmundham URC 160th anniversary of URC special weekend 25/26 September – would we like to join them in this enterprise. Not at the moment.
110 email Rupert Beswarick-Asser – Corporate Services Scrutiny Committee are examining the Planning Dept at SCDC – Thoughts to be given to the working group – Planning committee to discuss this at their next meeting.
111 Leiston Air Cadets – Annual Presentation Evening Monday 2010 1900 hrs – invitation. Clerk to attend.

C – OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:

C171 Norfolk & Waveney Networking Event Business breakfast! Cllr Fisher to attend
C172 NSPCC Campaign Circulation
C173 High Sheriff of Suffolk James Buckle Invite to Choral Evensong for the Courts of Justice Who would like to attend?
C174 Email Simon Burridge Fromus Square Clerk to email Mr Burridge confirming our wishes to continue with acquisition.
C175 NCVO Membership for small organisations Circulation
C176 Suffolk Police Authority Press Release Independent Advisory Group
Circulation


3607. CHAIRMAN’S/ TOWN CLERK’S ANNOUNCEMENTS: None


3608. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of January 2010 – as the bank statements had not arrived the report had not been ratified but the Councillors unanimously agreed it as correct.


3609. TO CONSIDER THE PROPOSED IMPOSITION OF CAR PARKING CHARGES ON A SUNDAY IN THE CAR PARKS: The Town Council objected most profoundly to all charges. Clerk to write.

3610. TO CONSIDER PURCHASING AND SHARING THE EXPENSE WITH BOS TO PROVIDE A NOTICE BOARD FOR ERECTION OUTSIDE SAXMUNDHAM RAILWAY STATION:
It will cost about £170.00 for planning permission and the last Notice Board purchased by the Town Council in June 2008 cost £800.00. Cllr Howe to ascertain further information from BOS.

3611. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAVVY: Cllr Ms Trotter-Langlois was ill and had not given a report.

3612. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE: Cllr Mrs Damiral-White reported on the decisions of the last planning meeting:

C10 0135
Mrs S Baldry
68 Fairfield Road, Saxmundham
Erection of conservatory  The Committee supported this application
C10 0106
Reef Estates Ltd
Galvani, Church Street, Saxmundham
Demolition of existing house  The Committee unanimously strongly supported this application
C10 0052
Reef Estates Ltd
Land & Buildings South of Church St, Saxmundham
Demolition of the presently dilapidated structures and ‘Galvani’ & erection of four new retail units. The Committee unanimously strongly support this.


SCDC Planning permission granted:

C09 1755
Byways Residential Care Home
55 Rendham Road, Saxmundham
Erection of single storey extension to provide kitchen/diner & Utility room


C10 00009 TCA Notice of Intent to carry out the felling out two Ash trees.
Screening taken down at Hopkins Homes 32 High Street – Clerk had written to Hopkins.
Clerk to forward email regarding Corporate Services Scrutiny Committee, who are examining the Planning Dept at SCDC, to Cllr Mrs Damiral-White.


ANY FURTHER APPLICATIONS OR CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:



C09 1890
Mr & Mrs Lucas Clock House, Church St Saxmundham
Erection of single-storey rear extension SCDC permission granted
C10 0298
Saxmundham Health Surgery, Lambsale Meadow, Saxmundham
Construction of flood defences
To be determined at the next planning meeting 22nd February.


3613. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE MARKET HALL COMMITTEE: The committee had not met since the last Town Council meeting.

3614. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE: Cllr Mrs Andrews advised that the Clerk was in touch with the delivery firm regarding any gaps in delivery. The deadline for the Spring issue is Monday March 1st.


3615. TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
Saxmundham in Bloom, Cllr Howe – Wine Tasting evening 7.30pm Friday 12th February and a dance in the Market Hall on Saturday 6th March.
Sizewell Stakeholders, Cllr Mrs Andrews – advised that she would inform the relevant person who had wrongly put her down as representative of Aldeburgh Town Council. Apparently arguments continue regarding the apparent leak three years ago regarding how they think it should be dealt with.
Sizewell Parishes Liaison Group, Cllr Mrs Andrews advised that the ‘wish list’ of the parishes is being finalised and the next meeting will be on Wednesday 28th April and will be attended by Cllr Sir Peter Batho.

3616. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN’S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda item 3:
3602.1 Funding, Cllr Howe suggested we look into the possibility of running a Town Lottery. This would need
a dedicated person to take on this very time consuming duty.
3602.2 Pavement in Station Approach, Cllr Mrs Andrews reported that there is uneven paving outside 6 – 24
Station Approach. Clerk to contact Highways.
3602.3 Hopkins Homes, Cllr Mrs Andrews – The Clerk had previously written to Hopkins Homes regarding the
regarding the removal of the whitening on the inside of the shop window at 32 High Street.

3617. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 8th MARCH 2010 at 7.15pm



Meeting closed at 9.28pm





Signed…………………………………………………… Dated…………………………………..







…………………………….
* Page 5 of 5 Town Council Minutes 8th February 2010

 
Top of page | Home | Legal | Site map
© Saxmundham Town Council, 2014.