MINUTES OF A MEETING OF SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL HELD
MONDAY 10th MARCH 2008 IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7:15pm
Cllr Fisher, Chairman
Cllr G. Cooke, Vice Chairman
Cllr Mrs M Andrews
Cllr Sir P Batho
Cllr Ms V Burdett
Cllr. Mrs. R. Damiral-White
Cllr. K. Howe
Cllr. B. Jones
Cllr. G. E. Moye
Cllr. M. Palman
Cllr. Mrs D Sculley
Cllr. Ms C. Trotter-Langlois
Cllr. Col. R.E. Warren
Mrs M. Gallop Clerk to the Council
4 members of the public
A presentation from Mr M Topliss Emergency Planning Officer, Suffolk Coastal District Council from 7.00pm-7.15pm
Mr Topliss introduced himself and Robin Buncombe the Community Emergency Planning Officer and gave a resume of possible emergencies:
* Severe loss of utilities
* Coastal flooding, lack of maintenance on the River Fromus could lead to blockages that could lead to flooding on the land adjacent. Rendham Road is also susceptible to flooding
* Pollution from heavy vehicles with hazardous loads parking in the town
* Cellars could be flooded
* Fire risk particularly with the use of acetylene in various workshops, or sheds, as these have to be hosed down for 24 hours and a 200-metre evacuation radius
* The potential of the railway bridge collapsing
Saxmundham would need to provide an effective Emergency Planning Strategy to get the community united and working together in the case of any 'emergency'. A suitable building preferably within the Town, e.g. the Market Hall could be used for various purposes in the event of an emergency.
A PUBLIC FORUM lasting approximately 15 minutes will be held prior to the formal meeting at which
Members of the public can raise matters - No points raised
REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: PCSO Thora Taylor had sent her apologies for absence together with a report
REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: County Cllr Rae Leighton had sent his apologies for absence due to another meeting
REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Cllr Andrews confirmed that the planning application in Lincoln Avenue had been passed
Cllr Sir Peter Batho confirmed that the Suffolk Coastal District Council precept had been finalised at a 3.9% increase. He advised that there was grave concern over the under funding by Central Government of the free concessionary travel which could result in a deficit of several million pounds - £190,000 per year in Suffolk Coastal.
3221. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this may be required when a particular item or issue is considered. None declared.
3222. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: All Councillors present
3223. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 16:
3223.1 Condition of the empty shop near the archway near The Store - Cllr Andrews
3223.2 Proposed purchase of a Union flag before St. Georges' weekend - Cllr Andrews
3223.3 Town signage - Cllr Howe
3224. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE 11th FEBRUARY 2008 MEETING previously circulated: Unanimously agreed and signed. Motion carried
3225. TO CONSIDER CO-OPTION OF A COUNCILLOR FOLLOWING THE RESIGNATION OF CLLR
S. TROTTER-LANGLOIS ASSUMING AN ELECTION HAS NOT BEEN CALLED:
Suffolk Coastal District Council had confirmed that the casual vacancy could be filled by co-option by the Town Council as the period of fourteen days within which ten electors could give notice claiming an election had expired. The vacancy had been advertised on the Notice Boards in Saxmundham and on the website. One applicant had expressed an interest in the position and attended the meeting. Cllr Fisher proposed the applicant, Bryony Peall be co-opted, seconded by Cllr Andrews. However Cllr Cooke expressed his desire to contact a previous Councillor to ascertain whether he would have wished to be considered for the vacancy and Cllr Moye thought the position should have been more widely advertised. After a lengthy debate a vote took place with 9 in favour and 4 against. Motion carried on majority. Ms Bryony Peall signed the appropriate Declaration of Acceptance of Office and Register of Members' Interest and took her place at the table.
3226. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
A151 Saxon Fayre - Clerk to ascertain details of previous funding raised
3210 - Request to SCDC of who is allowed to speak at Development Control meetings Clerk has not received a reply as yet
3192.2 Street lighting - financial restrictions would deem it unlikely to be increased in the near future
B18 Pedestrian Crossing - Clerk has written but no response as yet
3215 Mole hills on the Memorial Field - Clerk has instructed Mr Tricker, the mole catcher to deal with them
Youth Council - Cllr Moye to visit both Headmasters' of the local schools this week
3227. TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
A - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED:
137 Norris & Fisher - made to measure insurance for Village & Community Halls
138 Ceros Media - new technology
139 Disability Advice Service - Annual Report and Accounts
140 email SCDC - 10 new dwellings Station Approach will be numbered
141 East of England RSS Single Issue Review: Planning for Gypsy and Traveller accommodation in the East of England - deadline for views Friday 16th May 2008
142 NPS Property Consultants Ltd - reply regarding the Market Place car park present restrictions
143 email from Celia Hughes Lincoln Avenue - needs an allotment
144 SALC Suffolk Coastal Area Committee Meeting papers 10th March
145 SCDC Criminal Justice & Police Act 2001 Proposed alcohol Designation Order
146 ONE Railway - changing their name to National Express East Anglia
147 SCDC Agenda and minutes of meeting
148 email SCDC - Stephen Baker Chief Executive sharing post with Waveney
149 Suffolk Police - Suffolk Neighbourhood Watch Association Newsletter
150 SCDC Car Parks Management; off street parking places
151 Saxmundham Saxon Fayre - gifting some items that we have to decided to dispose of due to being broken or not working
152 email Rachel Rowe Framlingham/Leiston cluster bus meeting papers
B - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY:
24 SCDC Village of the Year Competition 2008 - Town Council decided not to participate this year as this has not been budgeted for
25 Elizabeth Long Suffolk Wildlife Trust - Course Tuesday 8th April 9.30am-12.30pm - anyone who would like to attend was advised to contact the Clerk
26 SCDC Simon Burridge - Fromus Square. Cllr Warren proposed that the Town Council go ahead with obtaining the parcel of land owned by Punch Taverns irrespective of the outcome of the smaller pieces of land owned by Somerfields, seconded by Cllr Cooke. All in favour. Motion carried
27 John Jackson request for double yellow lines at the back of the Market Place. Cllr Cooke proposed we action this request, seconded by Cllr Damiral-White. 8 voted for, 2 against, and 4 abstentions. Motion carried on majority
28 Property Aid Ltd - Quotation for works inside and outside the Webster Room. Clerk to obtain two further quotes and request any possible grants for improvements from SCDC
C - OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:
C048 SCC Countryside Access Community Scheme Thanking us for our interest shown in the scheme
C049 Email Suffolk Acre Illegal raves in Village Halls warning. Advice from Suffolk Acre to be noted
3228. CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Cllr Fisher advised the Council of ongoing problems to secure adequate insurance with our present Insurers due for renewal on the 1st April 2008. Cllr Moye proposed we accept the best proposal from alternative Insurers. Seconded by Cllr Andrews. All in favour. Motion carried
3229. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of February 2008 (as attached). Cllr Cooke proposed these as correct, seconded by Cllr Fisher. Unanimously agreed. Motion carried
3230. TO DISCUSS THE POSSIBILITY OF ERECTING A BUS SHELTER ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE
Cllr Andrews had received requests from residents and it was agreed that the Clerk would investigate the possibility of repositioning the bus stop and providing bus shelters for both sides of the road.
3231. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE: Cllr Mrs R Damiral- White reported.
To discuss the following application: Sir Peter declared an interest and left the room.
Mr & Mrs Williamson
Cottage Farm, Clay Hills Road, Saxmundham
Erection of one and a half storey extension
The Town Council supported this application
ANY FURTHER APPLICATIONS OR CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
SCDC - 1APP Consultation on proposed guidance on the validation of Planning Applications.
Suffolk Preservation Society - Local Development Framework - workshop Monday 10th March 08 at
the Riverside Centre - Cllr Andrews had decided not to attend having received advice from Mr Steve Brown of SCDC regarding many inaccuracies on this.
Copy letter to SCDC regarding One Stop Shop - Green areas & facilities from Mrs J Cheesman - acknowledge receipt
C07 1913 - HG Crisp 27 High Street Saxmundham - Erection of non- illuminated fascia panel &
lettering applied to shop windows - SCDC approval 14 February 2008
Local Development Framework Consultation mainly East of Ipswich and Felixstowe
Suffolk Preservation Society - workshops in the Autumn - advise Clerk of any interest
Letter from Mr Cooper Chartered Accountant - land adjacent to Rendham Road. The Town Council has always supported commercial use for this land and has no intention of changing this position. Clerk to write to Philip Ridley and give a copy him a copy of Mr Cooper's letter and also write to Mr Cooper enclosing a copy of the letter written to Mr Ridley.
3232. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE: Cllr Fisher reported as he had chaired the March meeting
* No volunteers were available for the hedgerow survey
* Future use of the Memorial Field - Cllr Warren proposed that this land could be used for a Community Centre as a living memorial amenity, agreed by Cllr Cooke. Clerk to investigate any restrictions on the use of the land as it was left as open space.
* The Personnel Committee will meet on Tuesday 25th March at 5pm to discuss the objectives for the Town Clerks Contract of Employment. Cllr Warren will deputise for Cllr Andrews together with Cllrs Fisher, Cooke, Batho and Moye.
* Cllr Cooke had requested more clarity on the budgets for St. George's and Saxmundham in Bloom. A lengthy debate ensued with Cllr Andrews response to remarks made by Cllr Cooke that she did not personally consider the preparations for St Georges weekend a hobby and Cllr Cooke apologised. The Clerk confirmed the enormous work effort that was needed to provide such an event for the Town. It was agreed to consider the Precept should be raised annually with adequate funding for both these events to be taken into consideration. The Clerk would provide informative detail of the funding on both accounts and it was agreed that every effort was being made to provide the events and keep them within their budget.
3233. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE MARKET HALL COMMITTEE: Cllr Moye reported.
* Cllr Sculley was thanked for her hard work in stitching the beading on the Market Hall curtains
* Cllr Moye had installed the Sound system for future use in the Market Hall
* The next meeting of the Market Hall committee will be arranged after receipt of quotations for repairs to the Webster Room
3234. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE: Cllr Andrews
advised that the St. Georges' weekend pamphlet would be included in Saxmundham News which will be distributed on Friday 4th April.
3235 TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
* Cllr Moye advised that Dorothy Leggett, a long standing member of Saxmundham Charities, had recently died
* Cllr Andrews advised that she had attended the recent BOS meeting and the members had discussed the Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company Consultation Day of the 23rd February where it had been felt that some of the questions had been provocatively written and implied wrong information
* Tickets for events for the St Georges' weekend will be on sale from Crisps from this coming Saturday.
* Cllr Fisher attended the Greenprint Forum meeting on the 25th February
* Cllr Warren reported that 200 people attended the Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company Consultation Day and 180 responses had been received and were being analysed.
* Cllr Howe confirmed that the recently held Wine Tasting evening had been a success raising £180.45 profit. A competition that raised money was won by the caretaker, Alan George. Cllr Howe advised that Geaters will need to know how many hanging baskets Saxmundham need this year. It is hoped that with precision siting of the baskets 160 would be sufficient to curtail costs due to having a reduced number of baskets.
* Cllr Jones reported that a new Head teacher, Mark Devereux had been appointed to the Middle School
3236. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda item 3:
3223.1 Condition of the empty shop near the archway near The Store - Cllr Andrews. Clerk to write to the owners, Hopkins Homes, to ascertain when renovations will begin as concern has been expressed about its condition.
3223.2 Proposed purchase of a Union flag before St. Georges' weekend - Cllr Andrews. It was unanimously agreed to purchase Union and St Georges' flags before the 18th April.
3223.3 Town signage - Cllr Howe requested signs at the East and West Entrances to Saxmundham similar to those at the North and South Entrances. Clerk to sort.
3237. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 14th April 2008
* Page 5 of 5 Town Council Minutes 10th March 2008