MINUTES OF A MEETING OF SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL HELD
MONDAY 11th FEBRUARY 2008 IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7:15pm
Cllr. J. Fisher, Chairman
Cllr. G. Cooke, Vice Chairman
Cllr. Mrs. M. Andrews
Cllr. Sir P. Batho
Cllr. Ms. V. Burdett
Cllr. K. Howe
Cllr. B. Jones
Cllr. G. E. Moye
Cllr. M. Palman
Cllr. Mrs D Sculley
Cllr. Ms C. Trotter-Langlois
Cllr. Col. R.E. Warren
Mrs M. Gallop Clerk to the Council
County Cllr R. Leighton
PCSO Thora Taylor
3 members of the public
PUBLIC FORUM: The public were invited to raise any matters they had concerns about:
* The question of Residents street parking permits arose and the residents will enquire about this through SCDC
* The Pelican crossing to remain because at the crossroads not everyone can hear the warning noise and the green light is masked
* A resident had a lucky escape when a black car mounted the pavement and nearly ran her over in the Market Place and the driver was subsequently abusive towards her. The Police have to actually see the incidents as they occur but the public were advised to take down registration numbers and report back.
REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: PCSO Thora Taylor had given a report that had been circulated containing the monthly statistics of crime. Three arrests had been made in the High Street the previous week and she warned the Councillors and public to be vigilant because a group of youths are allegedly coming to Saxmundham from Bedford with the intent of fighting with locals. Speeding is an ongoing problem in Saxmundham and the Police are monitoring this. The Speed Enforcement Officer, Dave McLaren is carrying out a number of checks and various suggestions were put forward e.g. the use of a speed safety car, SID, on the spot fines.
REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: Cllr R Leighton reported on the proposed Unitary Authority - the Boundary Committee is reviewing the roles of local authorities in Norfolk and Suffolk. The Government will come and talk to them but the Government will actually put the plan together which will probably take about a year for implementation in 2011.
REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS: Cllr Andrews reported that there were two applications for discussion at the recent Development Control meeting, one at the Seaman House site and the other at the former Primary School in Fairfield Road. She felt that they had been unable to get a balanced view of the whole town because the previous plans of 2002-2003 were not available for inspection and they were bringing forward the different sites separately. Both applications were approved and the neighbouring residents had been personally visited by the Planning Officer dealing with the case. Once the old school site has been sold by SCC TPO's will be placed on the trees. Cllr Andrews urged the Saxmundham Development Trust to progress their plans in order to seize the opportunity of monies available from SCC after completion of the sale of these two sites.
3206. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this may be required when a particular item or issue is considered. None declared.
3207. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Mrs R Damiral-White - sick
3208. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 14:
3208.1 Fromus Square - Cllr Warren
3209. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE 14th JANUARY 2008 MEETING previously circulated: Approved and signed. Motion carried.
3210. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
Top of page 2 - Cllr Cooke requested a copy, in writing, of who is allowed to speak at Development Control Meetings.
3192.2 Street lighting small passageway Albion Street to Mill Road - Cllr Fisher to follow up.
3211. TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
A - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED:
125 Audit Commission - Notification of change of external auditor
126 Minutes of the Felixstowe Youth Forum 16th January 08
127 Environment Agency - Fact sheet for waste
128 ONE Reply to our complaint
129 SALC - The Local Councillor
130 SCC Newsletter Autumn 2007
131 SCDC Council Agenda
132 Environment Agency Coastlines newsletter
133 Suffolk Preservation Society - Waste Issues report
134 Communities & Local Government - Consultation on orders & Regs Conduct of Local Authority Members
135 Furnitures International Ltd - Street Furniture solutions
136 Copy email to SCDC from J Hickmott - Car parking in Saxmundham
B - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY:
18 SCC - Pedestrian Crossing Facility High Street - Clerk to write and confirm facility to remain but would enquire as to whether the default could be in favour of the pedestrians rather than the motorists.
19 Suffolk Coastal Services - Changes to recycling facility - these changes have been postponed until the Autumn for most of Saxmundham
20 email Liz Waugh McManus Greenfingers Productions info -Clerk to circulate details to all Councillors and respond positively if there are no objections
21 Suffolk Coastal Services Ltd - Litter Action - Spring Clean Suffolk 2008 - this will be held in conjunction with Saxmundham in Bloom
22 Suffolk Preservation Society - Do we wish to enrol as a Friend - The Councillors decided against this as individuals could join if they so wished
23 email Guy Richardson SCDC - Alcohol Designation Orders Consultation - Clerk to ascertain confirmation of inclusion of the park at Carlton Park which is in the Kelsale parish
C - OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:
C039 Email from Sarah Barrett Suffolk Probation - Wednesday and Sundays - do we have a need for any indoor or outdoor work to be done e.g. cleaning to decorating, gardening ? Clerk to respond - much work could be done
C040 Papworth Trust Newsletter - Circulation
C041 Suffolk Acre Services Forms for quotation for insurance - Not suitable for Saxmundham
C042 Simon Burridge Fromus Square - Latest news - no change
C043 ATOC Reply regarding the decision by Travel Cannon to cease selling rail tickets - File
C044 Suffolk Coastal Local Strategic Partnership Yoxford Family Fun Day 27th March 2008 10am-3pm
C045 Suffolk Preservation Society - Enquiry as to whether we have received the LDF from SCDC - Confirmation given
C046 SALC Local Development Framework - Core strategy - Workshop on Monday 10th March at Stratford St Andrew from 11.00 to 14.00 £35.00 per person - Cllr Andrews to attend
C047 David Paterson Request for free car parking for caravan on May 28th at Somerfields - Cllr Howe to enquire
3212. CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS: None
3213. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of January 2008 (as attached) - Cllr Fisher proposed these as correct, Cllr Moye seconded. All in favour. Motion carried
3214. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE:
To discuss the following application:
12 Lincoln Avenue, Saxmundham
Extension & Sub division of existing dwelling to provide two (one three bed and one two bed)
Councillors had no objections to this application
C08 0206 Martin McColls 6-8 Market Place, Saxmundham Replacement of fascia sign & display of window vinyls - this work appears to have begun.
Cllr Fisher reported on the visit of Mr Philip Ridley, Head of Planning at Suffolk Coastal District Council on Monday 4th February.
* 11 Councillors attended this meeting
* Cllr Cooke had sent a letter requiring answers to seven points. The Clerk had faxed this to Mr Ridley the previous week. Mr Ridley had responded in general terms at the meeting and was willing to speak to Cllr Cooke direct.
* Mr Ridley or one of his Officers are willing to attend a further meeting with the Councillors around July.
3215. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE:
* To discuss mole hills on the Memorial Field. The Clerk reported she had received a quotation of £300 from Mr Steve Tricker and was awaiting a response from Suffolk Coastal Services. She had approached a further gentleman for a quotation but he declined due to pressure of work. The Clerk urged the Councillors to come to a prompt decision due to possible litigation. Cllr Moye proposed the mole hills should be dealt with immediately by Mr Tricker, seconded by Cllr Cooke. Nine voted for and three voted against. Motion carried
* To formally accept Cllr Moyes' decision to step down from the Committee. It was agreed that unless it was necessary Cllr Moye would not attend future P & R meetings.
* To discuss the Youth Council - Cllr Burdett reported on the meeting she and Cllrs Fisher and Trotter-Langlois had attended. The Youth Council were represented by Primary and other local school children and every school took it in turns to chair the meetings. The primary school children put forward some important relevant points such as traffic issues, break-ins, and the use of CCTV etc. Saxmundham had originally decided to only include children from the age of 12 but this meeting proved that younger children made an excellent contribution to the Youth Council. Cllr Moye has met with the Headmaster of the Middle School with regard to the ongoing project for the youth and Mr Short would be happy to assist with the initial set up. Cllr Moye will be meeting Mr Flintoff, Head of Leiston High School after the half term holiday. It would be helpful to put nomination forms in the next issue of Saxmundham News.
* To discuss future usage of the Memorial Field - Cllr Warren proposed we investigate possibilities of community facilities on the Memorial Field. Agenda item next month.
* Skatepark - Our application for funding from the Big Lottery was turned down. Cllr Burdett is investigating other options.
* Discipline & Grievance procedure - Cllr Jones had circulated the details and proposed we adopt these procedures. Seconded by Cllr Cooke. All in favour. Motion carried. Cllr Jones was thanked for his assistance in this matter.
* Yellow Lines outside the Prince of Bengal - a lengthy discussion ensued. Cllr Warren proposed we maintain the status quo - seconded by Cllr Cooke. 8 voted for, 2 against and 2 abstentions. Motion carried
3216. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE MARKET HALL COMMITTEE: Cllr Moye requested the opportunity to veto any bookings involving the consumption of alcohol as he is the DPS - designated premises supervisor. This was agreed by the Council. Motion carried.
Cllr Moye had sent further copies of a grant application to Suffolk Acre as his email had gone astray.
The caretaker had cleaned the cupboards in the kitchen and an inventory of china and cutlery will be completed shortly.
Four new taps had been installed in the gents lavatory this week.
3217. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE: Cllr Andrews
reported that not everyone had received a copy of Saxmundham News because as it was enclosed with the Coastal Advertiser not all residents received this publication. The Clerk has placed a notice on the website to request residents contact her if they have not received a copy of Saxmundham News. Cllr Moye proposed that the print run for the next edition be increased to 2500 to allow distribution to the library etc as this will include the St. Georges' Weekend programme. Seconded by Cllr Batho, all in favour. Motion carried.
3218. TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
* Cllr Trotter-Langlois urged everyone to attend an Art Exhibition for CYDS to be held at Aldeburgh Cinema Gallery on the 16th/17th February from 10am to 5pm.
* Cllr Andrews attended a meeting of BOS (Businesses of Saxmundham) and confirmed that due to the loss of their secretary a number of items had not been discussed.
* Cllr Warren advised of the renaming of the Saxmundham & Community Development Partnership to Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company. They have £24,593 in the kitty at present. There will be a public meeting with coffee morning in the Market Hall on Saturday 23rd February 2008.
* Cllr Palman reported that he and Cllr Fisher attended the County Council meeting regarding play matters. Many districts have obtained lottery money for their play areas.
* Cllr Howe urged Councillors to attend the wine tasting evening on Friday 15th February from 7.30pm to 9.30pm in support of Saxmundham in Bloom.
3219. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda item 3:
3208.1 Fromus Square - Cllr Warren expressed concern over the lengthy time the application for ownership of Fromus Square is taking. Unfortunately the Senior Solicitor at SCDC has been unable to obtain a reply from Somerfields despite many reminders. There is also a discrepancy between the Transfer plan and the Registry's own survey on the Punch Taverns side and he is waiting for the plans to be sent to him to enable him to check the situation.
Cllr Howe reported that The Gull had been filled with rubbish. Clerk to telephone the Environment Agency.
The Emergency Planning Officer, Mike Topliss, will speak to the Council at 7pm prior to the next meeting on the 10th March.
3220. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 10th March 2008
* Page 4 of 4 Town Council Minutes 11th February 2008