MINUTES OF A MEETING OF SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL HELD
MONDAY 14th JANUARY 2008 IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7:15pm
Cllr. J. Fisher, Chairman
Cllr. G. Cooke, Vice Chairman
Cllr. Mrs. M. Andrews
Cllr. Sir P. Batho
Cllr. Ms. V. Burdett
Cllr. Mrs. R. Damiral-White
Cllr. K. Howe
Cllr. B. Jones
Cllr. G. E. Moye
Cllr. M. Palman
Cllr. Mrs D Sculley
Cllr. Ms C. Trotter-Langlois
Cllr. Col. R.E. Warren
Mrs M. Gallop Clerk to the Council
County Cllr R. Leighton
2 members of the public
A PUBLIC FORUM
Previous matters raised at Public Forum :
* Dangerous junctions at the end of the Market Place - It seems that unless we can produce evidence of accidents precautionary measures will not be taken as there is no funding. Leiston are setting aside £10,000 every year to enable them to fund their own footways.
* Cllr Fisher was thanked for his prompt action in getting a tree cleared from the River Fromus and the path to the fire station tidied.
* The question of parking fees was raised but as yet the Council have not been informed of any increases.
REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: PCSO Thora Taylor had sent her apologies for absence and given a report to the Clerk who read out the previous months statistics. Apparently the Police thought that the Christmas period went by quietly but a complaint arose informing the Council that there had been no response to messages left on the Police answer-phone on New Years Day. Speeding in North Entrance is giving grave concern and the Clerk will raise this matter with the Police.
REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: Cllr R Leighton reported the following:-
* The increase in the Suffolk County Council share of the Council Tax was thought likely to be in the region of 4.5% as they had a better settlement from Government than expected although unfortunately Suffolk Coastal District Council had not.
* The Schools Review gathers momentum and Cllr Leighton was attending a meeting with the Heads and Governors. Leiston High School had received a good result in their Ofsted inspection and this was a singular achievement as they are judged on seven different topics.
* Cllr Leighton had a meeting with Derek Oldham at Highways regarding the double yellow lines in Saxmundham High Street. If these were to be reduced to a single line the Town Council will have to initiate the change but this will be a lengthy procedure. The double lines have been in place since 1991. The Clerk will liaise with the Highways again together with the Police.
Cllr Leighton was warmly thanked.
REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS:
Cllr Andrews reported the following:-
* From April Suffolk Coastal District Council will issue a new type of planning application form for twenty six different types of applications - apparently to make life easier.
* There will be a six months trial where Highways will not be consulted with regard to planning applications unless these are complicated or very large and Suffolk Coastal District Council will make the decisions themselves.
* Cllr Cooke attended a Development Control Meeting but was not allowed to speak and Cllr Andrews will look into this matter as there are four types of person who are allowed to speak at these meetings namely -
(i) The Developer or Applicant or their supporter
(ii) An Objector
(iii) A member of the Town Council that is affected
(iv) The District Councillor
Cllr Cooke was advised that he should have made it very clear to the Clerk of the Court that he was a Town Councillor and he assured Cllr Andrews that he had.
Cllr Batho advised that Saxmundham will have the two bin collection system this coming March/April. He will be attending a seminar on this later this month as the bag collection will cease and there will be blue, grey and brown bins. A number of residents do not have enough room for all these bins.
3189. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this may be required when a particular item or issue is considered. None declared.
3190. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr S Trotter-Langlois, work commitments
3192. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 15:
3192.1 Speeding in North Entrance - Cllr Cooke
3192.2 Street lighting - Cllr Batho
3192.3 Memorial Field - Cllr Warren
3192.4 Update on Skate Park
3193. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE 10th DECEMBER 2007 MEETING previously circulated: Unanimously agreed and signed. Motion carried
3194. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
Cllr Andrews is currently personally pursuing the problem of the noisy neighbour in Mayflower Avenue. An ASBO form can be completed and then sent to Suffolk Coastal District Council.
Railway Inn - The review was withdrawn at the last moment and the conditions were accepted but it has not opened yet.
Coopers Dip - The extension of their licence - A restricted number of smokers only will be allowed outside limiting the number to five at any one time and no alcohol will be consumed outside.
Clarification was necessary with regard to the meeting on the 4th February with Mr P Ridley from Planning at SCDC. This will be for Councillors only and not the general public. Any points that need to be raised can be left with the Town Clerk.
B14 - Clerk has written to SCC regarding damage to the street light.
3195. TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
A - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED:
115 SCC Temporary closure of part of the C238 Chantry Road, Saxmundham 12/13January and 26/27 January 2008
116 SCDC Agenda & Minutes of the Council
117 SALC Suffolk Hedgerow Survey Newsletter
118 SALC Suffolk Estuarine Strategy
119 SCDC Parish Bulletin Winter 2007
120 SCDC Annual Report for 2006/07
121 SCC Suffolk Bus Strategy & Suffolk Rail Strategy
122 Suffolk Preservation Society - Suffolk View
123 SCC News Release - Thatch safety tips
124 One Railway - East Suffolk Line
B - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY:
15 John Brodribb East Suffolk Community Rail Partnership. Cllr Fisher proposed that we would like to be more involved and work with them. Seconded by Cllr Andrews. All in favour. Motion carried.
16 SCC Partners in Play Event 24 January Brome Grange 9.30am-2pm - Cllrs Fisher and Palman to attend .
17 SCDC reply to Town Clerks letter complaining about loss of 17 car park spaces plus motorcycle bay in Market Place car park from January to May 08. Various sites were suggested for alternative parking or repositioning of the recycling facility e.g. The BT car park opposite the County Council offices, the Old Bus Station, Hopkins Homes proposed development site, the Reef Estates site and the recess at the old Post Office. Cllr Fisher will investigate these options.
C - OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:
C026 ESTA Members' Bulletin - Circulation
C027 SCDC Naming of Terrace - Station Approach
SCDC had suggested Chantry Terrace which would be very confusing. Suggestions of numbers 2-20 Station Approach
Safer Neighbourhoods Meeting 7 Feb 6.00pm at the White Hart Cllrs Howe and Jones to attend
C029 WPS Town Council Insurance scheme Clerk to investigate
C030 SCDC Greenprint Forum Meeting reschedule to 25 Feb 7-9pm Cllr Fisher to attend
C031 Gerry Wright Thank you letter for voucher Circulation
C032 KJ Plumbing Safety Alert for domestic hot water systems - Circulation
C033 Email from SALC Councillor training taking place at Rendlesham - Monday evenings would prove difficult as they clash with TC meetings
C034 Email Bekka Tozer Exhibition 7-21 February at Make Space Gallery - Circulation
C035 Greyhound Action - Stop the cruelty to Greyhounds - Circulation
C036 Travel Cannon Ltd No rail tickets available at Saxmundham any longer - Circulation. Clerk to write of our despair that Saxmundham has another loss of services for the town.Letters to ONE and ATOC.
C037 Email from Simon Burridge SCDC Senior Solicitor Update on Fromus Square - No replies to SCDC's correspondence. Disappointing situation that is taking so long to secure the ownership of Fromus Square.
C038 Email from SCDC Car parking charges at Wickham Market - Circulation
3196. TO CONFIRM SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL PRECEPT 2008/2009
Cllr Cooke explained that we had overspent by £4000 and the full year effect will be a £7000 over expenditure. The precept needs to be increased yearly to ensure a more realistic figure to fulfil the needs of the residents and to run the Council. Previous years decisions to keep the precept down has resulted in insufficient funding to run the Town Council over the last two to three years. Cllr Cooke proposed the recommendations of the recent P & R committee decision to increase the Precept to £46,850. Cllr Fisher seconded. Twelve for and one against. Motion carried.
3197. CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
* Chantry Road Play Area - Cllr Fisher thanked Cllr Warren for all his hard work to secure the completion of this purchase with minimal expense.
3198. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of December 2007 (as attached). Cllr Fisher proposed these as correct, seconded by Cllr Cooke. All in favour. Motion carried.
3199. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE: Cllr Mrs Damiral-White reported the results of the recent planning meeting where a considerable number of the public were present (as per attached minutes.)
* To consider the remit of the Planning Committee. Cllr Fisher led a lengthy debate resulting in confirmation that all Councillors will be consulted over large and contentious planning applications resulting in no change to the current remit.
3200. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE: Cllr Cooke reported the following:
* Paragraph 61 of the Standing Orders - the word appointment be changed to paid employment to eliminate ambiguity. Cllr Cooke proposed, as per the P & R recommendation, that the revised Standing Orders be approved including the insertion of a finish time of 10pm for Council meetings. Seconded by Cllr Fisher. All in favour. Motion carried.
* The Clerk's Contract is almost complete subject to minor alterations, and Cllr Moye will provide an insertion for grievance procedure. Cllrs Cooke, Jones and Moye will finalise this document in time for the April review. The Personnel Committee will liaise over the targets. Job description with the inclusion of development of the budget.
3201. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE MARKET HALL COMMITTEE: Cllr Moye reported the following as discussed at the meeting held earlier this evening:
Cllr Moye has been in touch with Suffolk Acre who deny having received a email application for funding from him. He will pursue this.
The four items required below are maintenance necessities:-
* New taps needed in the gents lavatory
* Re-pointing of brickwork in the Webster Room
* New piece of carpet in the front foyer
* New blinds needed
* Additional crockery required - 108 sets were purchased but breakages have occurred. Dessert and dinner plates and cutlery needed. Cllrs Fisher and Moye together with some other volunteers will do an inventory and sort out of the kitchen. Further crockery will then be purchased.
The items below will be purchased as part of the refurbishment.
* PA system required - at present we borrow from SARTs.
* Projection equipment - costly to lend out as it does not belong to us.
* New curtains needed together with decent opening and closing system
The Market Hall budget allocations should be clearly identified and correctly allocated as one of the Clerk's objectives.
3202. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE: Cllr Andrews reported that the April edition was at the printers and would be delivered to residents on the 25th January with the Coastal Advertiser. Cllr Andrews thanked Cllr Fisher and the Clerk who had worked hard compiling the first revised edition of Saxmundham News. The deadline for the April edition is the 3rd March.
3203. TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
Cllr Andrews reported that the next meeting of BOS would take place this coming Wednesday, 16th January and the subject of a joint effort between them and the Town Council regarding Christmas lights was going to be discussed. It was felt that the Town Council had supported them financially for the last three years. The Councillors were not happy with the siting of the Christmas tree at the back of the White Hart because only a limited number of people could see it. A more prominent position would be outside the Market Hall in the High Street.
Cllr Warren had attended a meeting of Sizewell this afternoon and a copy of the proceedings will be circulated.
Cllr Howe reported that the Anglia in Bloom committee would be seeking funding from the County Councillor. He advised that a Wine Tasting fund raising evening will take place on Friday 15 February in the Market Hall at 7.30pm and urged Councillors to support it.
3204. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda item 3:
3192.1 Speeding in North Entrance - Cllr Cooke had carried out a personal survey on the traffic and reported
that more and more people are speeding especially at night. He suggested that a mobile camera is
3192.2 Street lighting - Cllr Batho raised concern over the lack of lighting in the small passageway from
Albion Street to Mill Road especially since the neighbouring house has installed a wooden fence. One
of the steps is very deep and this is a potentially dangerous situation. Cllr Fisher to sort.
3192.3 Memorial Field - Cllr Warren reported excessive molehills on the field. Clerk to sort out.
3192.4 Update on Skate Park - Cllr Burdett advised that the result of the funding application for the proposed
Skate Park will not be known until February.
3205. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 11th February 2008
* Page 5 of 5 Town Council Minutes 14th January 2008