MINUTES OF A MEETING OF SAXMUNDHAM TOWN
COUNCIL HELD ON
MONDAY 9th JUNE 2008 IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7:15pm
Cllr. J. Fisher, Chairman
Cllr. Mrs. M. Andrews
Cllr. Sir P. Batho
Cllr. G Cooke
Cllr. K. Howe
Cllr. B. Jones
Cllr. Miss B. Peall
Cllr. M. Palman
Cllr. Mrs D Sculley
Cllr. Ms C. Trotter-Langlois
Cllr. Col. R.E. Warren
Mrs M. Gallop Clerk to the Council
County Cllr R Leighton
3 members of the public
A PUBLIC FORUM
* There is a tree hanging over into the road adjacent to the Children's playground in Chantry Road.
* Paths in Seaman Avenue are overgrown causing difficulty to pedestrians
REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: PCSO Taylor gave a report advising that crime was down compared with this time last year. The PCSO's will be targeting parking issues around the town. A serious offence occurred involving a coach driving through Market Place on Market Day causing damage to a stall and a real danger to life.
REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: Cllr Leighton reported on two different subjects:
* At a recent Locality Meeting Cllr Leighton had been advised that Town and Parish Councils were using the Customer Service Department call centre instead of contacting East Area Highways directly.
* A meeting of the Stakeholders group of the Schools Organisation Review will take place tomorrow evening. They will be looking at future use of the site of Saxmundham Middle School. Mr Potter has put in an initiative for an Education facility of some sort e.g. similar to the Learning Centre at Halesworth. Suffolk does not achieve the higher standards that other Counties do and needs to improve and every child from the age of eleven will probably have to travel to school by bus in the future. It is hoped that the decision of the pyramid system will be decided by the end of the summer. The presentation of the meeting will be e-mailed to Cllr Jones.
Cllr Trotter-Langlois advised that the Youth Club needed provision for a further days opening a week and explained that it would be preferable for the facility to be open all week.
REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS: Cllrs Andrews and Batho had nothing to report this month.
3274. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this may be required when a particular item or issue is considered.
3275. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Mrs R Damiral-White, family sickness, Cllr Moye, sick and Cllr Ms Burdett absent.
3276. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 15:
3276.1 Seaman Avenue basket ball court - Cllr Ms Trotter-Langlois
3276.2 Use of Memorial Field - Cllr Ms Trotter-Langlois
3277. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE 12th MAY 2008 MEETING previously circulated:
3266. An amendment to the fifth sentence to read 'The Business Association will be asked to send a representative'. The minutes were then unanimously agreed and signed. Motion carried.
3278. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
3256.2 Land next to Saxmundham Bowls Club - Developer not contacted as yet.
3279. TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
A - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED:
169 Leiston Area Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter
170 Sax Museum, thank you letter for donation
171 Suffolk Accident Rescue Service, thank you letter for donation
172 Citizens Advice Bureau thank you letter for donation
173 East Suffolk Mind, thank you letter for donation
174 East Anglian Air Ambulance , thank you letter for donation
175 Saxmundham 1st Responders thank you letter for donation
176 Coastal Accessible Transport Services Ltd, thank you letter for donation
177 SCC Mrs Ann Rodwell elected Chairman for 2008/2009 Vice Chairman Charles Michell
178 SCDC Update on the Local Government Review
179 email Viv Hotten SCDC - Blears heralds a new era of 'Parish Power'
180 SCDC Greenprint Forum Meetings 30 June, 28 July, 22 September, 27 October 08
181 SCC Rural Deprivation Report
182 NATS Terminal Control North - Proposed changes to Airspace
183 The Listed Property Owners' Club brochure
184 SALC email Suffolk Coastal Area Meeting 9th June - apologies given
185 Opportunities public sector recruitment weekly
186 East Anglian Practical Classics - Charity Classic Car Rally Sunday 20th July
187 SCDC email - changes to the Standards Regime - Members' Code of Conduct
B - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY:
34 Suffolk Preservation Society Joint Conference Tuesday 22 July at Elmswell - no representative to attend.
35 Suffolk Coastal - Help decide the priorities of our District - this is for personal views
36 SCDC email Town & Parish Liaison Meeting 17th July Riverside Centre - Cllrs Andrews and Batho will attend in their capacity of District Councillors together with Cllr Warren.
37 email magnox south sites - Funding stream for projects - circulation for perusal
C - OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:
Meadow Brook Playcare Thank you for donation -Circulation
NPS Property Consultants Ltd - Saxmundham Market SCDC have requested the Town Council manage the weekly Market. Cllr Batho to draft letter
SCDC Community Emergency Planning Workshop Wed 2 July 6pm-8pm Cllr Peall to attend - Cllr Moye to be asked.
Email SCDC Guy Richardson Alcohol Designation Orders update- Progressing on schedule
Email Sax & District Community Interest Co
Research & Consultation update Circulation
3280. CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS:
Cllr Fisher advised that he would be holding a Chairman's Reception in the Market Hall. A date was agreed of Friday 17th October 2008.
3281. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of May 2008 - Cllr Cooke proposed the accounts as correct, seconded by Cllr Jones. Cllr Warren had not been able to look at the accounts. All agreed. Motion carried
3282. TO CONFIRM THE PURCHASE OF A DOG BIN FOR ALBION STREET:
Cllr Andrews proposed we provide a new dog bin, seconded by Cllr Howe. 9 in favour, 1 abstention and 1 against. Motion carried on majority.
3283. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE:
To discuss the following application:
Mr & Mrs Crockett
Crown Cottage, 43 South Entrance, Saxmundham
Construction of vehicular access
The Council had no objections
6-8 Market Place, Saxmundham
Consent for display of fascia advertisement
The Council strongly objected to the vinyls on the windows but supported the re-painting of the fascia boards.
Permission granted from Suffolk Coastal District Council:
Mr Kennedy & Ms Smith
35 Tennyson Road, Saxmundham
Erection of rear conservatory extension
Saxmundham Town Council
Market Hall, 29 High Street, Saxmundham
Fixing of two wall-mounted notice boards to fascia abutting the Bell Hotel
Mr E Palmieri
17-19 High Street, Saxmundham
Minor internal alterations & change of use of shop
Mr & Mrs Smith
29 Heron Road, Saxmundham
Erection of rear conservatory extension
* Any further applications or correspondence received
Reef Estates had spoken to the Clerk and informed her that they were intending to look at further options for the land at Church Street and would send written details shortly.
The overhead electricity cables in Church Street across the car park entrance are due to be underground shortly.
Tree work at the Chestnuts, Church Street had been approved by SCDC.
3284. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE: Cllr Jones reported the following from last Monday evenings meeting
* Purchase of new computer as the present one was over five years old and not operating effectively and the memory ram is not big enough. Cllr Jones proposed we purchase an HP computer with a hard disc back up system for a cost of £300 with £50 cash back and VAT to be reclaimed at a cost of approximately £240.00. Seconded by Cllr Cooke. All in favour. Motion carried.
* Problem of car parking in Saxmundham - a small group will meet in the Webster Room at 7.15pm on the 10th June to discuss the problems. Bob from the Bistro will join the appointed Councillors.
* Skatepark update - A lot of work has been put into two bids over the last eighteen months but unfortunately these have not been successful and we have made no net progress. The Clerk will write to SCDC for assistance as they have provided information and help to neighbouring Councils.
* Charity Shops - The Clerk will contact Hadleigh Town Council to ascertain whether they have a strategy to limit the same type shops in the Town and she will request a brochure from Action for Market Towns.
3285. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE MARKET HALL COMMITTEE: Cllr Moye was sick but the Clerk had circulated the minutes from the previous meeting.
3286. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE: Cllr Andrews reported that Saxmundham News will be sent to Leiston Press this week. She advised that a new monthly magazine called The Town Telegraph is being published with 3000 copies available in various villages and some shops.
3287. TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
Cllr Howe apologised for not attending the last ESTA meeting but will be going to the next one.
Saxmundham in Bloom - Cllr Howe advised that the baskets have been hung around the Town. The judging for Anglia in Bloom will take place on 10th July at 9.30am.
Cllr Andrews advised that the meetings for BOS held on the first Monday of the month were well attended. In order to hopefully limit the number of plastic bags used she reported that the 'Sacks for Sax' organised by BOS members would be available in September.
Cllrs Andrews, Damiral-White and Warren had attended the meeting about Care and Repair of Old Buildings at Suffolk Coastal District Council. Cllr Andrews advised that Fromus Square had been featured as a successful regeneration scheme of an old run down area.
Cllr Fisher reported that the Cluster Youth Bus project was going ahead and will run on Friday evenings for about three hours in the Market Place car park.
Cllr Peall visited the Meadow Brook Playgroup facility for under fives with Cllr Fisher
Cllr Warren advised that the Saxmundham and Community Interest Company were sending out a postal survey in the IP17 area this month.
3288. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda item 3:
3276.1 Seaman Avenue basket ball court - Cllr Ms Trotter-Langlois requested that the court be extended . Unanimous support was given.
3276.2 Use of Memorial Field - Cllr Ms Trotter-Langlois asked if CYD's could use the Memorial Field twice
a month for car boot sales until further notice. She was advised to liaise with the Town Clerk.
Cllr Andrews reported that the expenditure and income for the St George's weekend celebrations cost the Town Council £520.00 She will distribute the figures to all Councillors shortly.
3289. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 14th July 2008 at 7.15. Cllr Cooke gave his apologies for non-attendance as he will be abroad.
* Page 4 of 4 Town Council Minutes 9th JUNE 2008