MINUTES OF A MEETING OF
SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL HELD ON
MONDAY 13th OCTOBER 2008
IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7:15pm
Present: Cllr. J. Fisher, Chairman
Cllr. Mrs. M. Andrews
Cllr. Sir P. Batho
Cllr. Mrs. R. Damiral-White
Cllr. K. Howe
Cllr B. Jones, Vice Chairman
Cllr. G. Moye
Cllr. M. Palman
Cllr. Miss B. Peall
Cllr. Mrs D Sculley
Cllr. Ms C. Trotter-Langlois
Cllr. Col R. Warren
Cllr. D. Willett
Mrs M. Gallop Clerk to the Council
Sergeant Daye Goddard
PCSO Thora Taylor
14 members of the public
A presentation of awards for Saxmundham
in Bloom 2008
* Best Front garden - Mr & Mrs R Holmes
* Best Small garden - Mr & Mrs C Morgan
* Best Hanging baskets - Mr Button
* Drought garden - Lisa Furneaux
A brief presentation and report from Saxmundham and District Community Interest Company on their postal survey by Robin Potter.
* There have been 1050 packs returned from 5500 that were sent out
* 300 questionnaires were distributed to young people
* 250 surveys were completed by the under 14's at Saxmundham Middle School and 50 14 - 18 years responded also
* The youngsters would like to have an under 13 Youth Club, a shelter to hang around in, an all weather outdoor sport area and a skatepark
* Results of the survey will be announced at the workshop on Friday 31st October in the Gannon Rooms but it is known that residents would like an increased variety of shops, more time allocated for car parking, a new surgery, a traffic free High Street, fewer Charity Shops and an improved bus schedule.
* The Town Council will be asked to support the Action Plan
* Cllr Andrews is looking into arranging a visit to the waste recycling facility at Great Blakenham
* Ongoing problems with illegally parked cars in the Market Place continues - Sgt Goddard advised that this was being prioritised by her staff
* 3 vehicles were parked all day in the Market Place on Saturday
* Dog faeces continues to be a problem in the streets of Saxmundham
* The dog bin at the corner of Chapel Road and St Johns Road is not emptied regularly
* The question of whether CCTV should be erected in the Market Place was discussed and will be looked into but it does not look as though it would be feasible
REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: Sgt Daye Goddard reported (as attached)
* 10 offences occurred this month including assault, criminal damage, theft, harassment & distress and litter.
* Parking issues remain uppermost in the priority list
* The Partnership Planning Meeting on the 24th September was well attended and the 1st Saxmundham and Framlingham SNT Partnership Planning meeting will be on Wednesday 29th October at 2pm.
* PC Kevin Stollery has been appointed as the dedicated Saxmundham Safer Neighbourhood Police Officer
* There will be a 'Not in my Neighbourhood' stall in the Market on Wednesday and a further one outside Somerfield on Friday
* 5 parking tickets have been issued in the town
The Town Council need to consider the cost of engaging a Town Policeman of our own in the forthcoming budget and precept.
REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: Cllr R Leighton reported the following:
* Finance - fortunately the SCC do not have any assets with the Icelandic Banks. The SCC have managed to save £57 million in the last three years which has enabled Council Tax to be kept down.
* Boundary Review - Consultations are now in and the Boundary Committee are going through all the documentation. The recommendations placed on the web site are being analysed. There have been 11,082 comments from individuals and organisations in Suffolk resulting in 53.2% supporting One Suffolk, 9% Rural Suffolk and North Haven, 20.6% preferring the status quo, 7% East and West, 10% 3 Councils, East, West and Ipswich and 5% others.
* Consultation for the Schools Organisation Review is going out for public consultation with a series at schools. Evening sessions are Kelsale 4th November , Saxmundham Primary 12 November and Saxmundham Middle School 20th November with invitations for Parents, Governors and the Community as a whole to attend.
REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS: Cllr Andrews reported:
* Cllr Andrews had received a positive email regarding the financial situation from the leader of Suffolk Coastal District Council only to be informed shortly afterwards to withdraw it.
* SCDC had a mixed reaction to the Boundary Review but finally decided to vote for 'Make Suffolk Three'.
* Changes to planning applications are taking place and details of the rules will be out soon. SCDC are going to share their planning service with Waveney with the Head of Planning dealing with both Districts which will enable sharing of experiences and different case loads.
3327. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interests that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this may be required when a particular item or issue is considered. Cllr Willett declared an interest in agenda item number nine (3335).
3328. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Cllr Sir P Batho, holiday
3329. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM 15:
3329.1 Poppy Appeal - Cllr Mrs R Damiral-White
3329.2 Road leading out to Kelsale - Cllr M Palman
3330. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE RECORD THE MINUTES OF THE 8th & 15th SEPTEMBER 2008 MEETING previously circulated: Unanimously agreed and signed. Motion carried.
3331. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
* 3317 Skatepark - Cllr Fisher advised that a bid for possible funding has to be in by December to SCDC and further help may be available from SCC Funding Manager
* 3318 Commemorative Board on the Memorial Field - one estimate for £300 plus VAT has been received. Cllr Damiral-White proposed we obtain two further quotations and look at it in the next budget. All in favour. Motion carried
* 3320 The archway over 32 High Street has been repaired
* 3320 The Clerk has written to SCDC regarding the removal of post and rails outside Zorbas and is awaiting their reply
* 3310.2 Overhanging shrubs near Somerfields have been pruned
3332. TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:
A - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED:
232 SCDC LSP Event & Greenprint Forum Meeting 27 October 7-9pm
233 SCC Suffolk Local Involvement Networks (Suffolk LINK)
234 Consultation information regarding Secondary Education
235 SCDC Boundary Committee consultation
236 SCDC Minutes & Agenda of Suffolk Coastal Business Forum meeting with SCDC
237 SCC School Organisation Review
238 SCDC Agenda for Council meeting
239 SCDC Agenda for Shared Services Task Group
240 St Elizabeth Hospice - handbag amnesty at our local Hospice shop
241 Suffolk Police Authority Make your views count Public meeting
242 email Suffolk Police - Promote 'Locked, Stop, Chain, Check'
243 Mrs Ginger - thank you card for the Town Council support in 'H' markings in Heron Road
244 Suffolk Police - copy letter to Mrs Ginger regarding parking issues in Heron Road
245 Suffolk Police - copy letter to Mr & Mrs Smith regarding parking issues in Heron Road
246 email SCDC Simon Burridge - update on Fromus Square
247 Town Telegraph
B - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY:
46 Suffolk Coastal Local Strategic Partnership 6th Annual Forum 14th November 9.30am-1pm - Cllr Andrews will be attending representing the District Council and Cllr Fisher will attend from the Town Council.
47 Barker Gotelee Solicitors Provision of Affordable Housing in rural areas 15 Oct 5.00pm Bury St.
Edmunds - does not cover Saxmundham area
48 Communities & Local Government - The making & enforcement of byelaws - A consultation-
comments by 20th November
49 The Saxmundham & District Community workshop Friday 31st October in The Gannon Rooms
2pm-4.30pm - Town Council invited
50 SALC - increased subscriptions for 2009 - AGM Tuesday 21st October 7.00-9.30pm - Cllrs Fisher & Sculley to attend
C - OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:
Email Daye Goddard
Fairfield Road construction site
Road to be dug up again
Joint underground of cables
Work on the cables has to be immediate so underground cables are not an option.
Report on Police Forum at Stratford St Andrew
Report to be circulated
Home-Start Suffolk Coastal
AGM Monday 17th November at 12 noon at St.Mary's Church Hall, Woodbridge
Email Don Tricker
Broadband Internet Access in the Market Hall
Market Hall Committee have this in mind already.
Suffolk Preservation Society
Do we support the idea of an independent Community Planner to help communities across Suffolk and would we be prepared to make a contribution towards the cost?
Suffolk Police Sgt Daye Goddard
Next meeting of SNT 2pm 29th October 2008
Events list from Sept to January 09
3333. CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS: Cllr Fisher advised he had received an excellent response to his reception this coming Friday 17th October.
3334. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of September 2008 (circulated) Unanimously agreed and signed. Motion carried
3335. TO CONSIDER A DONATION TOWARDS THE TOWN CHRISTMAS TREE AND PURCHASE OF A STAR:
Cllr Cooke proposed we contribute £500.00 - seconded by Cllr Damiral-White. All in favour apart from Cllr Willett who abstained due to his Declaration of Interest. Motion carried. This year the Christmas Tree will be outside the Market Hall.
3336. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE: Cllr Mrs Damiral-White reported:
Mr J Wuurman
56 Lincoln Avenue, Saxmundham
Erection of two storey side extension to provide a garage and additional bedroom
The Committee offered no objections. All agreed. Motion carried
* Refusal by SCDC of C08 1350 17 Felsham Rise, Saxmundham - erection of shed
* Letter from SCDC regarding changes to the permitted development regime for householders
* C08 00147 TP0 Application to carry out work at 9 Fairfield House Gardens, fell an oak and other alterations.
* C08 00150 TCA Western Red Cedar - Yew trees Fairfield Drive, lift lower canopy over road, remove lowest branch near house and tidy
* C08 00144 TPO 9 & 10 Fairfield House gardens, feel various oaks and reshape crowns and fell sycamore
* Email regarding BT and Adastral Park - regeneration information
* Church Street - Reef Estates are going for a Commercial scheme on the site
* Hopkins Homes have erected safety netting at 32 High Street as the archway was unsafe.
Cllr Fisher proposed the following to enable the two subjects to be discussed at the end of the meeting. Seconded by Cllr Andrews. All in favour. Motion carried.
PROPOSED MOTION: that under the Public Bodies (admission to meetings) ACT 1960 the public be
excluded from the meeting on the grounds that publicity would be prejudicial to public interest by reason of the
confidential nature of the business to be transacted.( Personnel - remuneration increase and Wingfield House)
3337. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE POLICY & RESOURCES COMMITTEE: Cllr Jones reported
* Clerks remuneration - to be discussed at the end of the meeting
* Playing Fields - The Town Council are responsible for the upkeep and need to look into obtaining possible grants. Seaman Avenue Playing Field needs re-surfacing as does the basket ball court. There will be a meeting on the 28th October at 2.00pm to discuss the situation, if raining it will be held at Seaman House.
* Wingfield House to be discussed at the end of the meeting
3338. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE MARKET HALL COMMITTEE: Cllr Moye reported the meeting was postponed until the final quotation for repairs is received.
3339. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE: Cllr Andrews reported that the Autumn edition of Saxmundham News had been circulated but a number of streets had not received them due to the Advertiser not having a distributor for various areas. It was decided that this is far from satisfactory and costings for future deliveries will be sought from Community News.
Nothing to report on the website.
3340. TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATIVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
* Cllr Fisher attended the AGM at Suffolk Acre
* Cllr Howe attended the ESTA meeting in September and was informed that if a revised plan for a lift to be installed at Ipswich Station is submitted it is very likely it will be approved.
* Cllr Howe attended the annual Bus Station Exhibition on the 5th October.
* Cllr Howe - Saxmundham in Bloom - advised that winter planting for the sinks will soon be underway and sponsorship is being sought at £30 per sink.
3341. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN'S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda item 3:
3329.1 Poppy Appeal - Cllr Mrs R Damiral-White has taken over as organiser of the appeal but needs as
much assistance as possible particularly with collections outside Somerfield and street collecting
between 25th October and the 11th November. Cllr Andrews proposed the Town Council set aside
£50.00 for two wreaths. Seconded by Cllr Cooke. All in favour - motion carried
3329.2 Road leading out to Kelsale - Cllr M Palman advised that this subject could be deferred until the next
meeting as it was so late.
The meeting ended at 10.32pm
3342. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Monday 10th November 2008 at 7.15pm