Saxmundham home page Town CouncilLocal ServicesSport & LeisureTourist InformationNews & EventsAbout SaxmundhamContact Us

MINUTES OF A MEETING OF
SAXMUNDHAM TOWN COUNCIL HELD ON
MONDAY 11TH MARCH 2013
IN THE MARKET HALL AT 7.15pm



Present: Cllr. Sir. P Batho,Chairman Cllr R Plant
Cllr. Mrs M Andrews Cllr Mrs D Sculley
Cllr. G Cooke Cllr. Ms C Trotter-Langlois
Cllr. J Fisher Cllr. D Willett
Cllr. K Howe

In Attendance: Police
2 members of the public


PUBLIC FORUM: Daye Goddard reported that the football goals have been made and are ready for installation. This will not take place until better weather. There will be collaboration between D Goddard and the Town Council re installation.

REPORT FROM THE LOCAL POLICE: 6 crimes reported: Burglary-Dwelling - no entry gained: 2 thefts from shop - CCTV obtained; 2 criminal damage - dwelling and other building - enquiries ongoing; 1 Cause Harassment/Alarm/Distress Sect. 5 - Detained by Police.

The Saxmundham and Framlingham SNT are going to do speed checks. These started in February and will continue throughout March.

Clllr R Plant asked about parking on the zig zag lines in the High Street and it was confirmed that it is illegal with a fine and penalty points. The police can only act when they see such parking.

REPORT FROM THE COUNTY COUNCILLOR: Cllr R Leighton did not attend and no report had been received.

REPORT FROM THE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS: Cllr Andrews enquired about the old Toilet Block. Flicks had provided an informal valuation of £500.00, the Town Council’s bid was submitted based on this valuation. However, much higher bids have been received. Cllr Andrews met with Mr McQuade, Chief Executive of Flagship Housing re failure to carry out repairs on two properties and why Flagship Housing had been put them for sale on the open market. Mr McQuade apologised and said there was a misunderstanding by the surveyor. The two houses in question have now been repaired and both have new tenants.

Cllr Andrews wanted to know the Town Council’s response to the modifications to the Core Strategy. A response has to be sent by mid/late April. It would appear no Councillors had read it. Cllr Andrews to pass her copy around and requested responses from Councillors by the 1st April as she will be following it through.

As agreed at the last full District Council Meeting the number of District Councillors could be reduced from 55 to 43 depending on the Boundary Commission’s decision re change of boundaries.

Cllr. Sir Peter Batho advised that the budget has been approved. There will be no increase in the charge to the taxpayer for the County Council, the Coastal District Council, nor the Police. The only increases will come from Parish or Town Councils.

4275 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST:
Members are invited to make any declarations of personal or prejudicial interest that they may have in relation to items on the agenda and are reminded to make any declarations at any stage during the meeting if it becomes apparent that this ay be required when a particular item or issue is considered. NO DECLARATIONS

4276 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE: Maddie Gallop, Town Clerk - ill; Cllr J Cassells - ill. Cllr D Tricker did not attend

4277. MATTERS TO BE RAISED UNDER AGENDA ITEM: 15

4278. TO APPROVE AND SIGN AS A TRUE REPORD THE MINUTES OF THE 11th February 2013 TOWN COUNCIL MEETING previously circulated:
Unanimously agreed. Motion carried.

4279. MATTERS ARISING THEREFROM NOT COVERED ON THE AGENDA:
Page 1 Section 106. It was agreed that the Town Clerk would make further enquiries whether this money could be transferred to the Town Council. In view of the fact that the Town Clerk is ill Chris Burslem wrote to the District Council who are looking into the matter. Cllr Cooke queried whether a member of the public should have in fact have written to the District Council on this matter, ut it was pointed out that anyone can do so. Mr Burslem said he had written on behalf of the Town Plan . Cllr Andrews felt it very unlikely that Hopkins Homes would use the money for a different project. Dr Havard still needed extra money for his training programme. If it is the Council’s wish Cllr. Sir Peter Batho will write to the relevant authority to see if the money can be used for other purposes in Saxmundham.

Page 1 The Scout Leader had expressed concerned about the development in Rendham Road and the footpath from the new development and the Fire Station. There is also a need for a footpath along Rendham Road. Cllr Fisher telephoned the District Council to discuss Section 106 agreements.

Page 2 4264 Anti Social Behaviour outside Zorbas - Cllrs Sir Peter Batho and Mrs Andrews met with a representative of the Licensing Section and a Senior Solicitor for SCDC together with some of the complainants. The Licensing Section of SCDC is intending to take some action.

4280 TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED:

A - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE NOTED AND CIRCULATED.

671 Community Action Suffolk - newly formed organisation
672 SCDC - how to maintain a good rating or improve a poor rating National Food
Hygiene rating Scheme update
673 Suffolk Police - Leiston & Aldeburgh Area Neighbourhood watch Newsletter
674 SCC Warmer Homes
675 E Mail Nikki Palmer Sizewell C Community Meeting 25th April public meeting
676 Saxmundham News

B - CORRESPONDENCE TO BE DISCUSSED BEFORE REPLY
216 A formal invitation received from the Chairman Scouts to the official opening
of the new Scout Hut on 8th June at 11.00 am.
217 Digital Copier Systems - do we want to take out extra insurance? Cllr Fisher
suggested that we did not need to do so.
215 SCC Saxmundham - Land between Rendham Road 7 A12 - C13 0056 developer contributions, Cllr Sir Peter Batho declared an interest and left the meeting. Councillor Andrews read out a letter from SCC to SCDC which was copied to us. Because circumstances have changed sine the section 106 agreement was drawn up, SCC want it to be re-visited. We supported SCC. Cllr Fisher to investigate.

C - OTHER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED TO DATE:
Friends of Leiston Air Field are holding a Service of Rememberance Service
26th May starting at 2.15 pm at the Mustang Memorial. There are 3 car park
Tickets available
Ron Howarth regarding fund raising for the new heating system in the Church.
Mr Howarth to be advised that his request for funding will be considered at the
May Town Council meeting

4281. CHAIRMAN’S/TOWN CLERK’S ANNOUNCEMENTS: NONE

4282. FINANCE REPORT:
* To approve the monthly finance report to end of February 2013. Cllr Cooke proposed this as correct, seconded by Cllr. Plant. Majority carried with Cllr Willett
abstaining owing to the fact that he had not seen the Finance Report.

4283. TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE PROGRESS OF THE TOWN PLAN: Cllr
Plant said that 645 responses had been received. These are being processed and hopefully
the Chairman of the Town Plan will be inviting Town Councillors and other interested
Parties to the Gannon Rooms about the 12th June to announce the results.

4284. TO DISCUSS THE TEMPORARY EMPLOYMENT OF AN ASSISTANT TO THE
TOWN CLERK.

Cllr Cooke said this should read ‘Temporary Cover’ for the Town Clerk. Cllr Sir Peter
Batho felt the Town Clerk could possibly be away for 2/3 months. Cllr Mrs Andrews
advised she knew of a clerk in a neighbouring parish, qualified CILCA, who would be willing
to take on extra hours. However, nothing will be done until Cllr Sir Peter Batho speaks to
the Town Clerk about her condition and see the medical Certificates.

4285. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON ST GEORGE’S CELEBRATIONS:
Cllr Howe confirmed there will be a quiz on Friday, fun and games in Fromus Suare and a
Dinner/dance in the Market Hall on Saturday. On Sunday there will be a street market.
The Civic Parade route may have to be altered because marshalls now have to be qualified.
There will also be an archery display in Flick’s carpark on the Saturday, and the
Charity stalls will be included in the street market on Sunday.

4286. TO DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING PLANNING APPLICATIONS:


C130164 Mr James Perks - Land to read of 33 and 35 Rendham Road, Saxmundham
Retention of a log cabin in the rear of 33/35 Rendham Road currently a storage
workshop to a building used for activities and running a supported food premises
(Café) for adults with disabilities to work at to serve the general public

Revised planning application had been submitted. No one will arrive by car. Aim
to serve people in the local area and those who use the services of Byways. 3 voted
for the revised plan, 4 against, 2 abstained. REJECTED

SCC has been given permission for conversion of the old Primary School into two
Residential units with 19 additional units to be built in the grounds.

Nick’s application for flat about his shop has been given permission.

4287. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM SAXMUNDHAM NEWS AND THE WEBSITE
Cllr Sir Peter Batho closed the meeting. Chris Burslam said he had e mailed his report
to all Councillors and there was nothing else to add. The article about what is happening at the District Council did not appear as it was not received until after the layout of the
magazine but it will appear next month. Meeting reopened. Cllr Fisher is trying to keep the
website up to date.

4288. TO RECEIVE REPORTS FROM REPRESENTATVES OF VARIOUS COMMITTEES including working parties:
Cllr Mrs Andrews attended an ESTA meeting and advised that there is now a plan for a new rail curve in Ipswich to enhance the freight service from Felixstowe to Nuneaton. The hourly service through Saxmundham is working well. The ticket machine will be installed as soon as possible
Cllr Howe had attended a BOS meeting. Cllr Howe has been voted as Chairman of
BOS, and in future the meetings will take place in Waitrose Café on the 3rd Monday
of each month, staring at 7 pm. BOS will be applying for the residue of the Mary
Portas money, and a suggestion to use that money would be to paint the town. Each
shop to choose the colour and BOS will provide someone to do the painting. There is also the £10,000.00 from Hopkins Homes some of which could possibl go towards the same project. BOS would be willing to take on Saxmundham in Bloom from 2014 but Cllr Cooke pointed out that this is one of the Town Clerk’s objectives. However, Cllr Howe volunteered to ring Geaters about this year’s requirements as not sure if the Town Clerk has done so yet.

Cllr Fisher spoke about the condition of the Market Hall clock. Several members of the public would like to see a clock showing the correct time. The clock is probably 18 years old
and need replacing, It was suggested that a new clock could be paid for out of
Section 106 money from Hopkins Homes.

4289. OTHER MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT THE CHAIRMAN’S DISCRETION as notified under Agenda Item 3.
Mrs Pauline White, Adventure Playground, has asked that the Town Council write a letter in
support of her application for monies for new play equipment. This was unanimously agreed and Cllr Sir Peter Batho to write.

4290. DATE OF NEXT MEETING: 8TH APRIL 2013 and ANNUAL TOWN MEETING
22ND APRIL 2013. Cllr. Mrs Sculley offered apologies for non attendance at the meeting on the 8th April due a holiday.




Meeting closed at 9.55 pm






Signed………………………………........ Date………………………………....

Top of page | Home
© Saxmundham Town Council, 2014.