A Short History of the Saxmundham Sports & Recreational Club
was formed on December 7th 1933 & the revival of Bowls, Tennis
and Cricket was to take place on pastureland, known as the Layers,
belonging to Squire Long & situated on the southern outskirts
of the town. Limited use was made of the small recreation grounds,
held in trust by the then Saxmundham Urban District Council, and
situated off Rendham Road.
the war, these sites became unavailable or insufficient, as it was
then becoming obvious that Sports facilities should be expanded
to cater for ALL members of the public.
sighted committee including solicitor J. Noel Cooper and Dr. David
Ryder Richardson raised loans to purchase 23 acres of beautiful
Park Land, ideally situated between Saxmundham & Kelsale. The
present committee are planting more trees to ensure that this site
will still be pleasant for future generations
remain the property of the Club, but are used by the public and
local organisations for outdoor functions, and provision of facilities
for caravans and tents has made a much appreciated stopping place
for British and foreign tourists.
come from as far away as Kesgrave and Halesworth, and the ground
is maintained by voluntary labour.
a modern pavilion, with changing rooms and showers, was provided
in place of the Nissen Huts, which had been left over from the war.
In 1983 a new pavilion was provided for the Bowls & Tennis sections
and in 1999 an extention was added to the Kellett Pavilion so that
the facilities could be upgraded.
Each activity is catered
for by its own section committee. There are sections for Football,
Cricket, Tennis and Bowls as well as an Adventure Playground. The
grounds and the caravan park are administered by the main club committee.